Starting a new year

Continuing to sort out things on my desk, to get ready for leaving, and our house sitters' arrival,  I'm realizing again that I have more than one notebook filled with notes from workshops and seminars, with wisdom words about everything from living, gardening, writing, to being in the world.

So much is encouraging, about opening oneself up to new possibilities, different expressions of creativity, tapping into old dreams, and envisioning new ones.

Mid-life and post-work life are the times that often present themselves as available time, even as the routines of daily life can easily fill up way too much of it.

In that spirit, I thought I'd start my 2019 postings on my blog with a sketch.

Early in December, I'd done a sketch of a vintage copper sauce pan, which sits on my studio bookshelf full of beautiful weathered stones from a beach in Patagonia.  It was a memorable place, full of seabirds and penguins (their northernmost colony).  

I had first left the stones in the saucepan, but then realizing I had a big enough challenge with the saucepan, took them out.

So I thought I'd try a few of the stones late this afternoon, after realizing yesterday that I've had a several week hiatus from doing any sort of drawing.

hmm, an attempt at weathered stones.....
There was a reason I didn't try the stones before, I quickly realized again -- they're challenging with their shape, volume, and shadows.  I almost switched to something else, but persevered, as a good start to a new year.

A quick photo taken on my computer table reminded me of other memories nearby: an empty jam tin from Germany 35 years ago, a vintage marmalade jar, and a favorite mug, now cracked, but all repurposed, holding colored pencils, pens, and vintage rulers.

Stones, sketch, and surroundings

https://placesofthespirit.blogspot.com/2018/12/a-small-copper-saucepan-sketch.html
small copper saucepan

Comments