Experiencing winter

Well, we wanted to experience winter here in Quebec, since summer is a magical time.  We’re definitely experiencing the snow!

I wrote yesterday about the somewhat challenging drive that I’d had in an icy rain/snow mix to our local city and back — scary, to be truthful.  I think this was quite unusual weather, although the snow overnight had my buddy clearing out the snow behind our car this morning.  A big job.

I’m beginning to think about how being here through the winter would require a LOT of toughness.

We’re having a blast skiing in the national park next door, but we don’t have to think about getting to work, etc. And we're amazingly just minutes from the park.

It's hard to beat skiing on fresh snow in beautiful light.

On the La Portage trail

Today’s trip to the most expansive grocery store within a 12-15 minute drive was interesting.  The main highway was totally clear, but going down the business route into Rimouski, there were snowplows clearing the excess snow at one point, blowing it into “dump” trucks, there were three of  them, along with a snow plow and a giant snowblower, to cart it off to nearby snow depots.

Interesting.

Now, I do have a village grocery store within a 5 minute drive of our house.  I go there, too.  It's really quite decent, a small regional market- we don’t really have the equivalent of it back at home anymore, although my friend who now lives outside of Fries, VA has a very much smaller, more minit-mart version nearby her country house — they have fresh meat, eggs, and milk, along with the standard gas-stop fare.

I’m spoiled back in our mountain city in Western North Carolina to be within a less than 5 minute drive or 10 minute walk to a very nice large supermarket (Harris Teeter) and a Trader Joe’s.

Geez, that’s posh, I’m thinking.  Of course.

Comments

  1. My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address
    and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so i am just
    following you. Look forward to going over your web page repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment