Back to colder temperatures

Today's high was 8°F, with a wind chill of minus 15.  Nippy by any standards.

We ventured forth on a local trail near Rimouski that in summer is walking and biking;  in winter, it's groomed for cross-country skiing.  Our hybrid skis did best on the non-groomed, but smoothed edges of the trail  -- great fun, and happily, our cold weather gear (layers of merino wool, high-tech synthetics, micro-down, and Gore-tex jackets) is proving up to the task of protecting us from being too cold.

This afternoon's excursion brought us back to St. Fabien sur Mer, a wonderful community along a bay of the St. Lawrence river below St. Fabien, about 5 km away from our house.

I would have thought I'd written more about it last summer, but this post was one of only two that I pulled up in a search of Natural Gardening.

It's a marvelous walk with wonderful views.  What surprised us in winter is how many year-round residents, along with weekenders using their houses, were evident.  We could tell who was living there through plowed parking areas and driveways, along with smoke coming out of fireplaces.

It was extremely cold, as the wind always blows there along the shore, and now the chunks of ice mark the edge of the bay. I took off my mittens and gloves briefly to snap the buttons on my down parka hood;  hmm, my hands got really cold, really fast.  I'm not doing that again.  Reminder to self: snap buttons on parka hood before getting out of the car.

It was too cold to take photos, aside from this one, coming down the hill towards the bay.


Comments

  1. Brrr! That's getting cold even for me. It sounds like you are having a tremendous time. I enjoy following along on your journey, from my nice warm house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read today that meteorologists are expecting a big shift to very cold weather in a week or so, so things may get even more frigid where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a high of 0 here for Thursday, I think. Brrrr. The last few days have been quite decent at 17 to 18, with little strong wind. We’ll see how we feel with those really cold temps.... the big wood stove is warm!

      Delete

Post a Comment