Traveling ahead of a snowstorm

About to depart, a couple of days ahead of what we'd planned, I'm bemused by our preparations.  A snowstorm is coming into Eastern Quebec on Tuesday, so we want to arrive "home" before that.

I never have thought of myself as some sort of great housekeeper, but it's been interesting in our HomeExchange period, how that lens has crystallized.  I have always been careful leaving for 3 to 4 weeks of travel, to clean up the refrigerator and make sure nothing would be mouldering away while we were gone.

During our HomeExchange times, I began to think about how someone else would look at the kitchen -- are there crumbs in the drawers?  are the potholders stained?  did I leave any ancient condiments in the fridge, etc.?

We all vary in this, as our HomeExchange partners have, too -- it's all been good.  We all do reciprocal cleaning and tidying, after all.

For our housesitters, this time, the refrigerator is practically empty, wiped down -- ready for their month in our house. Hmm. Where does that urge come from, I think?  It's really just about the kitchen, as of course, we haven't done some sort of huge housecleaning, not our forte at all, as our monthly housekeeper is coming on Tuesday, a week ahead of schedule.  Woody's shedding is quite evident.

Perhaps all of this is about creating surroundings that are comfortable.   And wanting to return to a kitchen that's not full of old stuff.

We remodeled our kitchen before we downsized here.  I hunted around for a post about remodeling, but it must have been so traumatizing (it was difficult to be here during that), I couldn't find a post!

This rather humble photo was what came up first -- a dark image with what I think are apples on the counter...


Similarly, as we're heading for a winter month in Quebec, this reflection from last summer was telling, too.

Comments

  1. Safe travels, Lisa. Looking forward to news of your safe arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie — I think we’ll be fine. My car is heavy, with winter tires, etc. And it’s loaded up with winter gear....

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We made it late this morning with no problems, thankfully. Amazing to see all the snow!

      Delete

Post a Comment