Inktober Day 5 (2020) Salvia guaranitica

 In another part of the front garden, away from the pocket meadow, I have a large patch of Salvia guaranitica (Brazilian sage).  It was one of the early cultivars, and amazingly has made it through multiple winters in the Asheville basin.  This last winter, it was knocked back quite a bit, in spite of it being a mild winter (I think perhaps that voles were eating its roots along with the roots of the Joe Pye adjacent to it.)

But it could just have been a combination of factors.  Gardening is like that.

Even though it's not native here, I'm partial to it.  Ruby-throated hummingbirds love it.  And, since it flowers all summer, it's a great nectar source as they fly from feeder to flowers.

Here's my drawing from the fading flowers in early October (a bit bright from my iPhone image).

 
Here was my inspiration for Inktober Day 5.
 

 
 
 




Comments

Post a Comment