Wildlife in the Garden

I wrote my daily post today on Natural Gardening, probably encouraged by writing about urban green space here yesterday, but also thinking about a program that I'm doing next week, which is solidly about gardening.  I guess I could have written it here, too:  we've been creating natural gardens that support wildlife (and our sense of place) now for decades.

I've also been musing about how knowing a bit about the natural world shapes our lens of viewing our gardens and places in the world.  I know we have bird diversity in our downtown historic neighborhood because of our tree diversity, many of them native.  They're also protected by our historic district standards, although not in the rest of Asheville. 

A red-bellied woodpecker on one of our black cherries a couple of years ago.
You don't have birds without habitat.  Period.  Some people think the tree restrictions are onerous, but say they love birds.  That's why I continue on teaching and encouraging people to plant, after all.

Here's my Wildlife in the Garden post.

Comments

  1. It is amazing how much we learn by simply observing. We love the birds and wildlife around us and endeavor to keep a natural habitat so they have a place to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, you’re fortunate, I think, to be surrounded by natural forests, so you’re supporting wildlife all the time. Those of us in urban and suburban places need to think about this.

      But, as you write, observing and paying attention to what’s around you is key.

      Delete
  2. My garden wouldn't be the same without the birds. I definitely select our plants with them in mind. I love Woodpeckers of all kinds, especially the Red-Bellies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment