The experiences (and rembrances) of traveling

Poking around posts yesterday from our trip to Southern Argentina and Southern Chile in winter 2015 reminded me of what an amazing part of the world that is.  This afternoon, I realized I'd already transferred most of the web-sized travel images from the last 16 years of traveling (that I thought were just on the old desktop back-up) and briefly poked around web galleries of northern Vietnam, Laos, and Zanzibar, Southern India thinking there are a LOT of presentations, web galleries, and images to write about....that's a good thing, even if their organization seems a bit daunting.  At least I'd put together presentations and web galleries.... So many amazing places, even if not necessarily "places of the spirit."

I was also reminded that our first major international trip was 4 weeks in Southern Chile in 2002, including a 5-day circuit in Torre de Paine National Park.  Remarkable. Even though we'd traveled in Canada, Europe, and Central America and Mexico previously, as well as various places in the U.S.,  Patagonia seemed really far away. 

It turned out to be a wonderful trip, full of beautiful mountains, rivers, lakes, seashores, wide vistas, glaciers, and penguins, and the start of many visits to South America.

I came across a post that I wrote last spring just before we returned home from Italy.  It sets the stage for continuing a series of posts about special places we've visited in the world and the rhythms of traveling and coming home.

Natural Gardening
Travel, gardens, and nature (April 28, 2018)

Traveling brings experiences that expand your world view, whether it makes familiar a previously unknown place, provides a glimpse into other cultures and other lives, or contributes to a pilgrim’s journey towards discovering touchstone places in the world.
Always, my traveling, with my gardening companion and on my own, has involved nature, gardens, foodways, and cultural experiences. I’m always interested in how people relate to their garden spaces, how they grow, obtain, and prepare food, and how they interact with the surrounding landscapes, urban or rural.
Umbrian path through olive groves

There’s always a road ahead, and a garden to return home to. 

Back to writing about Patagonia tomorrow.

Comments