Reflections

An accidental gmail mistake that had all 6500+ messages marked unread a couple of days ago encouraged an unexpected look back over the last 3 years.

Until I finally figured out today how to mark them back as "read" -- my three Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, and iMac) all had the 6500 messages waiting for me to read.  Hmm.

At first, I poked around trying to figure out how to reverse it, with no success.  Then I started deleting messages, not a bad thing, after all.

So I was revisiting the past three years -- I'd done a purge before we moved to the mountains, and before my old desktop died, but this was a serious decluttering revisit to past communications.

Curious.  And over a family holiday like Thanksgiving, it seemed particularly poignant to revisit emails from family and friends.

A 2014 fall view from my Clemson study

I revisited our move from Clemson to Asheville and my angst over leaving a beloved house and garden.  The loss of some of my sister's animal companions.  Woody's health scare with tumors. My sister's move from Colorado to New Mexico.  Exchanges around meetings with friends here in Western NC. etc. etc.

Thank goodness, I finally was able to re-mark all of the "unread" emails as "read" on my iPhone, which synced with the other devices.  What a first world problem....

But I'm glad to have briefly revisited those times through past emails, I suppose.  It has me determined to delete as many of the non-important ones as I can -- there were lots of those, too, along with the "meaningful" ones -- I certainly don't need an inbox full of old emails....

Comments

  1. Indeed a first world problem. I have never had to go through that many at one time. (I think 350 is my top number) It must have seemed overwhelming. I get stressed when I have too many unread emails so that would have thrown me for a loop.
    I go through emails when I have time and when there are tons to review I literally schedule a big block to clear them out. Folders have been a G-dsend to me. I can put things in them to review later and lower my stress.
    It must have been nice to see the personal ones though. An emotional touch with the past can be pleasurable and also bring up painful memories.
    I am glad you straightened it out for the time being. I guess you have a future chore for the rainy day when you are totally bored and have nothing to do.
    Have a nice holiday.
    Gentle hugs,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did seem overwhelming. The personal ones were nice, aside from the sad times, but I'm going to continue to downsize the digital clutter, too! Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I am horrible with email. Once in a great while I sit down and unsubscribe from all the junk I get. It is a nice reprieve for a while. When I stumble on the few I have from my sisters, it is a hard reminder of the loss of not having them in my life now. We were more 'talkers' than writers. I am glad you managed to resolve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I can't imagine coming across emails from lost sisters -- my mom died prior to the digital age, so my sister and I haven't had that. I'll be downsizing the rest of those darn emails as I have time.

      Delete

Post a Comment