Heading back to the U.S.

I’m not exactly sure if I can take frozen fruit, prepared jam, or cooked applesauce that’s homemade over the border from Canada to the U.S.  The “rules” seem a bit flexible, although last summer, I found a definitive “no.”

Frankly, I’ve spent too much time harvesting fruits, pitting them, processing them, etc. to even risk having them confiscated at the border, when on this crossing, we’ll have food to declare: bread and cheese, a bit of dried milk and coffee, etc., Woody’s dog food....

I’d be really unhappy to give up any of my hard-earned preserving, and there will be plenty of time to eat all of it!  In addition to all of the delightful frozen jams, we can look forward to muffins made with applesauce, cherries made into tarts and jam, and plum jam next winter as well as in late spring to early summer after we come back then.


Cherries, plums and apples: summer’s bounty

Comments

  1. It would be terrible to give the custom agents your yummy treats you worked so hard to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No joke. And I'm confident about the power here staying on, and preserving everything in the freezer.

      Delete
  2. I had to clean out my freezer to make room for frozen applesauce and tomato sauce and have just used the last of the frozen rhubarb. (Why didn't I save more?) I'm still not finished preserving this summer's bounty. But winter will be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had more rhubarb, too! We ate all of the harvest of the two plants that we have -- including the small amount that I'd frozen. But, we planted two more plants in a better spot, so hopefully we'll have a better harvest in the future (to go with our newly planted strawberries...)

      Delete

Post a Comment