Rhythms of fall

It's a wonderful transition time in central and eastern North America, with the transition from summer to fall.  Depending on where you are, fall colors are developing, whether the golden yellows or vibrant red and orange, or both.

Here in Quebec, the yellow leaves are first, triggered after the last cold snap, apparently.

I'm harvesting the last apples before heading south soon, myself, leaving a freezer full of cherries and apple sauce, as well as rose hip/apple jam.

A hopefully final apple cake (I'm tired of cutting up apples) is delicious, a combination of crab apples and apples from one of our trees.

apple cake
There are so many apple trees in landscapes here;  I'm glad ours are tasty now.  A neighbor's feral trees (in a waterway ditch) has huge apples, but I don't think they'll ripen before we leave. 

And our small plum tree, now in almost total shade, has slowly ripening plums.  I don't think they'll be ripe before we leave, either, nor the few pears (apparently delicious, according to a neighbor).

Comments