A final harvest

I'm thankful, actually, that our apple, cherry and plum trees are largely in shade.  It keeps the harvest down.

This was the (only) harvest from a small, heavily shaded plum tree this afternoon.


They're cling-pit plums, not very big, with a sweet-tart taste, ideal for cobblers, tarts, or jam.  I'm planning to make freezer jam out of these, to join their cherry brethren in the freezer until winter and late spring/early summer, when we'll return.

I wish I could take some of my fruits back to the U.S., but that's not an allowed food, alas.  Bread and cheese, along with olive oil and some spices;  those I'll bring, just so we'll have something to eat after our remote border crossing this time.  We'll be staying overnight in Sutton, Quebec via a HomeExchange partner, so will not be on a major crossing point when we go into Vermont the next day.

Comments