Being a teacher

Many of us are teachers in various ways. My father and grandfather were teachers.  I am a teacher.

My sister taught piano over her professional career and continues her teaching now as a clinical herbalist.  My husband is a teacher, now "retired" like I am, but continues to do talks and programs as I do, but way less frequently now.

A Taquile Island schoolroom, probably 15 years ago, on a great trip to Peru

But I'm realizing that I'm trying to concentrate too much volunteer teaching while I'm here in Western North Carolina at the moment.  I did this before when I "retired" from paid work and as I wanted to help encourage folks around gardening for pollinators, native plants, etc. as I could in Asheville and surrounding communities.

I'm actually only here for 2 months this spring, but between the classes and presentation, landscape consultations, and attending a couple of meetings related to promoting pollinator-friendly gardening -- I'm feeling a bit stretched.  And I'm trying to study French, keep up my fitness levels to Quebec standards (yikes!),  and practice and hone writing.

And I was inspired (again) to revisit my many blog posts over the years in a workshop last weekend.

I obviously need to make more space and time for those creative projects, too, along with all of the giving.

It's an interesting juggle, which I'm finding challenging and a bit out of balance at the moment, too.

But, it's better than being in a rut and just thinking about what I'll be cooking for lunch and dinner, and what ingredients I need to procure -- that's always a sign for me that I'm not doing enough that's interesting!

Outside that Taquile Island schoolroom was this sign, pointing to places around the world

I think it's a telling conundrum, as many of us try to give too much, both through generosity and wanting to make a difference.

It's all about finding a balance.

Comments

  1. You are kind and generous with your knowledge. It is necessary, however, to nurture yourself along the way. I enjoy witnessing your creative endeavors and look forward to your travel posts. Teaching goes hand-in-hand with learning and they are both fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew better than to overdo it, but I do love teaching and encouraging folks, so it's always a balancing act....

      Delete
  2. I'd call it a quality problem. However you handle it, I hope you continue to share your knowledge. Teaching can be such an enriching experience for both the teachers and taughyt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll continue to teach -- I enjoy encouraging people to be curious about plants, gardening, and the natural world, and as you say, it enriches my own experience, too. Just need to pare back the frequency, I think!

      Delete

Post a Comment