A diverse day in Dublin



I started with a visit to The Little Museum of Dublin, a people’s museum, based on donated items from Dubliners reflecting a long time span. But the heart of the experience are the truly excellent guides - I did the museum tour combined with the Green Mile tour (of historic St. Stephens Green). Young guides both, their passion and interpretive (actually dramatic) abilities were exceptional.

They brought to life the ebb and flow of life for Irish people over the last few centuries, ordinary folks for the most part. 

In the park, the story of the great-grandson of the founder of the Guinness Brewery figured prominently. As a philanthropist, he took this historic green space, renovated the space as a park and gave it to the city of Dublin. It’s charming today and well-cared for, thanks to continuing support from Guinness. 

So I figured I should go visit the Guinness Storehouse, too, as it was on that side of the river. The  #1 tourist attraction in Dublin (maybe in Ireland?), it was interesting as an exploration of how carefully crafted Guiness has been over the centuries (the brewery was founded in 1739.). I learned quite a bit about brewing beer that I didn't know - and survived the crowds to see the view at the top!

Hmm, here was confirmation re tourist visits:
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/06/09/news/guinness-storehouse-in-dublin-is-the-most-visited-attraction-in-ireland-during-a-record-year-for-tourist-industry-1351468/

I’m going to add a couple more photos, but, since I’m using a blog app, if you get an email feed, you’ll need to click through to the original post to see them.








Comments

  1. Such a beautiful country. So glad you are enjoying your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s great to be in Dublin, but I’m ready for the countryside. Thanks for following along!

      Delete
    2. This brings back happy memories. Wish I could remember the Gaelic word for Cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment