More gifts from the garden

My blog posts on Places of the Spirit and Natural Gardening seemed to have merged (and alternate), as the immediate places in my life are now back in house and garden. I posted a piece about Flame Azalea on Natural Gardening yesterday.

It is a place of the spirit here, in our native plant garden surrounding the house, planted with abundant native wildflowers, shrubs, and trees. I am grateful.

Alerted by Margaret Roach's interview, with Ken Druse,via a Way to Garden recently,  I suggested to my gardening companion (really the main gardener here, aside from the pollinator pocket meadow and the raised-bed vegetable garden), that dividing our Hexastylis arifolia (Little Brown Jugs) might be quite easy.  He's enjoying dividing existing native perennials and moving them around. I'm so glad of that and the beautiful spring that we're experiencing.

Ken was talking about European wild ginger, so we thought, why not give it a try after watching the YouTube video linked from the podcast/website.

So Tim dug up a large clump, divided them, and spread the divisions around.  Lots to move about!

Wild ginger divisions -- check out the roots!
We then considered bloodroot, a favorite spring wildflower.  All of our clumps had come from our Clemson garden and it's been reseeding here, too.

So a big clump was dug.

The "mother" clump
Then, ready to divide.


The bright red sap was evident as my gardening companion divided the clump.

Nice to finally see the bloodroot sap up close!

And now there are even more bloodroot plants out in the garden.

Comments