Being at home

We like to think we have two homes, one in Asheville, NC and one in Le Bic, Quebec.

It’s different than having a vacation home or a second home,  I think, as we’re now here more or less half of the year, and plan to continue this pattern in the foreseeable future.  We’ve been doing this for almost two years, now, having bought this house in May of 2018, so have now have had two summer and winter periods, with next summer and fall to come.  We feel at home here.

Here in winter, my friends and acquaintances at the English language outreach center/library where I volunteer, are rather amazed that we want to be here in winter.

Well, we’ve had another wonderful 2 months enjoying skiing in the snow — this year on cross-country skis, in addition to our Altai Hok hybrids.  They’re so much fun, gliding along in groomed tracks.  Today, I actually felt like, wow, I’m feeling both strong and balanced out on a lovely ski on a perfect afternoon, before tomorrow’s snowstorm.

But, if I didn’t have an outdoor winter activity that I enjoyed (walking is fun, too), I wouldn’t like winter here at all, even in a mild winter like this one.

We’re enjoying our last few days here, heading back to North Carolina soon.

What this means about our sense of place, I’m not quite sure, although the feeling of both of these places is special, indeed.  We loved this place in summer years ago and love it in winter now, too, just as we’re looking forward to spring wildflowers and our native plant-based garden back in Asheville in spring. We love Western North Carolina, too.

The sunset yesterday was lovely, as they’ve been during our winter sojourn here.

View from the upstairs

From the living room

Towards our neighbor up the hill behind the house



Comments