A finished painting that evokes Quebec

I began a 4-week acrylic painting class a month ago, at the local English-language library where I volunteer here in Quebec. It was free, as part of their English language outreach program, although the full class represented Anglophones and Francophones practicing English alike.

I posted a bit about this already.

We chose varied subjects, but I used an illustration from an 2014 calendar that our instructor had saved, with paintings from presumably Quebecois artists over the year.  My inspiration was a March scene:  maple sugar time, it was titled in French.

I was drawn to it because the colors of the farmhouse were similar to our cottage here.  Quite nice.

So I extracted that as my subject.  After four weeks of work, well, I’m pleased with the result (our instructor kept telling me I was using acrylic like watercolor, not surprising, since that’s been the medium for most of the recent classes I’ve taken.

Happily, the finished painting fit perfectly in the empty frame that we’d had, inexplicably hung in the downstairs bathroom by the previous owner of our house.

For now, we’ve moved it to our entry room, although the colors are really best in natural light.


A closer look.


The original calendar painting of time for maple sugar!


Comments