Snow and cold

We’re perhaps unlikely folks to now embrace winter and cold in our 60's, but maybe not. We’ve lived in the southern half of the U.S. for our entire lives.  I grew up in Austin, Texas and my gardening companion (aka hubbie) grew up in LA.

And we've lived in the Southeastern U.S. for our entire working careers, in Statesboro, GA and Clemson, SC, and now in our post-work life in Asheville, NC.

But as undergrads and graduate students, we both x-c skied - I went skiing in Colorado, Tim skied in the Sierra Nevada, and we both went back to Colorado as grad students, joining family in a VERY wintry cabin outside of Boulder.

I’ve kept this old print as part of a print montage for a long time; it was in my study in Clemson, and now is in our house in Quebec, another cold and snowy place.

It's a photo of both of us in front of that cold cabin in Colorado.

We were young then.  The snow was great.  I still have the down jacket.

So perhaps it's not so odd to embrace winter now, in a warm historic cottage, with the right gear, and a decent degree of fitness (at least on my part; my hubbie’s in great shape!) making skiing a definite workout, much more demanding than my long walks back in NC, but fun everyday.

Thank goodness, though, today was a rest day, due to some installation/electrical work in the house!




Comments

  1. Almost everyone I know who moves in retirement goes from north to south, truly you do not follow the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe so, but we're only here in winter when the snow is good, not for the preview and follow-up that happens in fall and spring!

      Delete

Post a Comment