Schwarzwald view

Part of enjoying special places is being able to revisit them, whether through photographs, narrative, or art, or all three. I started doing a bit of art again about 4 years ago, but only while taking classes.

A good start to revisiting art again
I really enjoyed the classes and the results  -- a search for 'watercolor" on my Natural Gardening blog revealed quite a few posts and photos of watercolors -- fun to review.  The posts described my nature journaling aspirations (which turned into blogging).  The watercolors that I liked are on display around my studio and elsewhere at home in Asheville.

A stint with a significant hand issue with my dominant hand in fall 2015-winter 2016 made it too easy to abandon my intent to continue doing art at home, even after the hand issue settled down after some time.  My very nice array of art supplies (from watercolors to pastels to colored pencils), drawing pads, and thick watercolor papers stayed in their attractive wooden boxes and decorative tins.  I think I even managed to convince myself that writing is my primary and preferred creative venue, which it is, after gardening, but, pushing on the edges of one's creativity and experiences are part of what makes a richer life, after all. 

I did bring up my favorite natural journaling books with me to Quebec last summer, however, thinking more along the lines of writing, but perhaps thinking a bit in the back of my mind about the art, as several of them have beautiful sketches and paintings, too.

A post yesterday by a friend about doing her current art -- pieces that are wonderfully done, colorful reflections of her thoughts and spirit - and her call for people to do art whether they think they're artists or not, had me thinking.

After those forays a few years back, I haven't done a single piece of art by myself.  So what am I waiting for?  My hands are basically OK now -- I just have to treat them nicely:  no excessive chopping, peeling, weeding, pruning, etc.)  Watercolor isn't exactly heavy-duty, after all.

I was going to wait until I got home, based on her encouragement, but she wrote, well, why not now?  There are several art supply and paper stores nearby, so first thing this morning, I bought some watercolor pencils and waterproof pens and reflected on what to draw. 

I wasn't surprised that I thought mountains and trees would be good subject matter -- they've been favorites since childhood -- and I had a nice photograph from the Feldberg for inspiration.

A good start.


Comments

  1. Lisa, I love this! Your art is wonderful. I always thought I would eventually paint, and finally this year I organized the art supplies (which I've had for years, waiting for I don't know what!) and got started. I doodle and slop color around mostly, but it's so satisfying! Your friend said,"I am not brave at all, I just don’t want to die one day with all my dreams still stuck inside me. I wanted to make art and I am, it’s as simple as that. No good or bad, no right or wrong, it just is what it is, it’s what is coming out of me and I love it all to bits just for what it is." I might have to put that on a post it to remind me. Especially the 'loving it all to bits' part. Cheers to making art! Thanks for posting yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daricia, I'm so glad that we're on a parallel journey! I really took Maitri's post to heart, especially her "why not now" challenge and have been trying to honor that spirit -- she's a wise and creative person.

      My art supplies have been sitting around for a long time, too, looking attractive in their wooden boxes and basket, accumulating for a LONG time, and waiting patiently for the art-maker to come back. It's definitely time to use them....Yay, for creativity and fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment