A hike on the Feldberg

The highest mountain in the Schwarzwald - the Feldberg -- beckoned on a clear day.  There were lots of trails around the summit, according to the small guidebook for 25 outings in the Black Forest.  A Google search confirmed this, so we were off.

Arriving, we thought taking the cable car to the lower summit, then looping down around the long path back looked like a good route.  The views were amazing from the summit.

view from the top of the Feldberg

another view

There are a multitude of trails leading from the summit, but after a false start (but actually a good one, but one which would have brought us WAY down the slope, then back up), we took the slightly shorter route down, looping back by the Feldsee, then up and over the ridge again to our start.

It was a delightful hike, and reminded me that I need to hike more at home in the Southern Appalachians.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of my walks and hikes in the Northern Appalachians in Quebec this summer. Perfect.  It was a long hike, too, but lots of folks were on the trail.  Nice.

I love being out in the woods --  I'm making a note of that, again.

Comments