Addressing the spirit of place

My last daily blog posts over the last few days have been on Natural Gardening, rather than here.

Bloodroot in flower, a couple of years ago.  It's flowering now in our lower beds.

It's time to think about gardening now in Western North Carolina.  Spring is around the corner; even native trees and shrubs are showing bud expansion this weekend.  Our three bloodroot plants are in full flower below the house.  I've put in some cool-season veggies already.

A flurry of activity doing presentations and landscape consultations seems to be the dance (over the last week and for the next month), familiar from a few years back, of a being a part-time resident again.

It's not necessarily a comfortable place being a part-time resident, but one that matches the call to be in Quebec in the summer, as that's definitely a place of the spirit.  I love to give back to the community where I'm living, so doing volunteer talks, presentations, and classes, etc. here in Western North Carolina, while I'm here in spring and fall is both fun and rewarding.

Until I actually can speak some conversational French, I won't be able to volunteer beyond the English-speaking outreach programs through the library in Rimouski, via the non-profit Heritage Lower St. Lawrence.  I've been studying on my own, but now I've signed myself up for bi-weekly tutoring lessons from a retired Romance Languages professor here in Asheville to kick my learning French up into the next level, perhaps.  Conversational French is my goal!

Here are links to my posts on Natural Gardening over the last few days.

Using Native Plants in Containers
Late Winter Musings: Spring is Coming
Garden Bloggers Fling
A Mild Spring-Like Day

Comments