Another rest day

 Thanks to temperatures well below 0°F all day today, I didn’t venture forth.  

Tim took homemade whole grain bread studded with raisins, cranberries, and walnuts to two of our neighbors, made from no-knead bread overnight.  One loaf went to the fellow down the road who helps us with routine maintenance tasks: cleaning the gutters, brushing our stovepipe, and clearing our parking space of snow, before our arrival.

Thankfully, our venerable Volvo x-c wagon’s battery was up to the task, reassuring for me.  I worried about whether our car would start at such low temperatures, even though my mechanic back in Asheville had tested its cranking power in early December.

These are such cold temperatures for Southeastern US folks like us.  We didn’t have such cold temperatures here in our previous two winters.

But all is well, the house is cozy.  When we’re here all day to feed the wood stove, with our back up heaters, it’s lovely.

I sent a friend this image of our birches and aspens (from out the upstairs window yesterday afternoon).  She loves birches and her lovely piece with a delightful snowman and birches behind now is a wonderful reminder as we leave the house.



She has an Etsy shop, I think. Her name is Rebekah Ann Stephenson/ Rebekah Ann Morrison. She does lovely work.

Comments

  1. Birches are so very artistic in any setting or medium. I am intrigued by the valence in the photo. Did you get that in Germany? I have a simple eyelet version in my kitchen made from a length of valence fabric I bought in Freiburg in 2001.

    I hope you get a fee more skiing days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, the valence came with the furnishings in the house, but I had similar ones from Germany, too, back in Clemson. Skiing is on the agenda for this afternoon!

      Delete

Post a Comment