A welcome rest day

Cold temperatures kept us at home today.  I ventured forth to the village market (hooray, the battery in my venerable Volvo x-c wagon cranked up just fine at 4° F.)

I bundled up, in case I was stranded.  Of course, I was way too warm after putting on my vintage down parka, making my way around the grocery store.  Hmm, but I was prepared!

Tomorrow will be even colder, with lows near -14° F, so I wanted to get milk and some other provisions to take us through Wednesday, when the chill will warm up to 15°F.  Hmm, this would be seriously cold in Asheville.  All stores were closed yesterday, except for gas stations and their associated markets, as part of a worker relief/preventing Omicron spread Quebec-wide regulation.  Indoor gatherings beyond your immediate family group are currently banned, too, so social occasions with neighbors and friends will wait.

I’ve found myself unusually interested in soups with the exceptional cold. Tomato soup with grilled cheese and vegetable sandwiches were on the menu for lunch.  And I had a mixed bean soup as the carb for dinner, too.  So interesting to see how we adjust.   The vintage wood stove is cranking along, with the convection heaters providing backup, so after a dip overnight inside to 55°F, it’s now 70° F in our main living space, after a long day of feeding wood to the stove!



Comments

  1. That's colder than cold. I agree that soup fills the bill on chilly days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup is great to have. Thankfully, our house is cozy and warm thanks to the wood stove!

      Delete

Post a Comment