Interesting times

 I didn’t wish for these times.  

I’ve lived in my blue bubble in the mountains of Western North Carolina, full-time for over five years now, 12 years since we’ve owned our house here, with lots of traveling during those years, and becoming a part-time resident in Quebec in May, 2018.

We lived in South Carolina for over 20 years, a deeply red state, although we lived in a college town, which provided a buffer.  We lived in Statesboro, GA for almost a decade before that.

So we've lived in the southeastern U.S. now for several decades.  Living in Asheville now has been a refreshing change;  it's why I was able to leave a beloved old house and garden in Clemson.

Thinking about my country this evening, I trust in the process of elections.  Slowly, the counts, delayed by the deluge of absentee ballots, tilt toward Biden.

But the divisions in our country seem stark, even as I try to celebrate the record numbers of voters in this election, after decades of apathetic voting.

Biden's popular vote margin is huge, compared to presidential elections in recent years.  Our electoral system is showing its age and unfairness.  What that means going forward, I don't know.  

My own contributions are not about political activism, but environmental ones and gardening for nature -- adding native plants, planting for pollinators, and encouraging folks around that.  I worked so hard in the 2016 campaign (for the first time in my life) canvassing, etc.   I regrettably had no heart for that this year.  

I celebrate all who've brought their voices and new votes, even those that are not of my opinion.  This is a good thing for our country.

Apple cider muffins

There are always whole-grain muffins to be made and enjoyed.


Comments

  1. A great post. Hopefully, Trump will accept the outcome without more damage to our frail country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our democracy is proving more resilient than I had thought. And the numbers of voters on both sides. A huge improvement, that's for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment