Being at home

 I am finally feeling good about the tide turning in my country. I’m feeling at home again. There’s good news about vaccines and good news about cabinet posts. 

All buoying on the beginning of Thanksgiving week.

We’re used to small Thanksgivings and holidays away, so I’m a bit buffered from missing family gatherings, as that hadn’t been our norm until recent times, as we were drawn into their larger family celebrations by my brother and sister-in-law. 

I’m glad of the new ability to visit with my small family via Zoom, too. We didn't have a family tradition as adults, although I remember many nice Thanksgivings growing up.  So it will be nice to talk with them on Thanksgiving.

This year, we’ll be having a traditional turkey and dressing dinner, with cranberry sauce, roasted Brussels sprout, spinach, rice, gravy and pumpkin custard.  My gardening companion loves turkey, so we have a small turkey, which I'll make in a roasting bag (easy!)  Lots of leftovers.  I'm taking inspiration from Samin Nosrat's recipes in the NYT for new ways to re-pupose leftover turkey.  Turkey mole and turkey tikka masala sound pretty good!

Woody’s looking forward to our turkey dinner, of course, as he sniffs around the kitchen for turkey broth spills from the dressing I made this evening.

But he's curled up on his cushion at the moment.  His day is done for now.  Time to rest.

A lovely walk with my gardening companion (on a favorite loop of mine over the last decade or so, with and without my good friend who used to live nearby) up from Grove Park to the Grove Park Inn and around back on Kimberly and back had us admiring the remarkable views on a clear day.





 


Comments