Appreciating where we are

 Even as I start finally, again, looking at images from our summers and winters in Quebec, I'm buoyed about where we are, in the mountains of Western North Carolina.

We've had a wonderful color year, extended longer than I thought it would be.

A trip to the NC Arboretum this morning had me admiring the planted red maples along 240 and I-26.  They're absolutely spectacular now.  The vivid reds are really extraordinary, all from cultivars, I know, but totally beautiful.

My normal walk in the Arboretum was a bit disappointing.  Setting up for drive-in Winter Lights means that rather tacky installations have occurred along the access trail to the Bent Creek trail, from the gate house parking lot.  Maybe they'll look nice at night, but they're nothing that I want to see during the day.

But out the front door, our quirky ginkgo is getting close to be totally yellow.  It's late, compared to other years, but we're always glad for ginkgo fall color.

Gingko out the front door




Comments