Staying at home

As my state of North Carolina goes into a 30-day "stay at home" mode, I'm again grateful that I'm a cook, gardener, and baker.

The edict is similar to my county's decree, which started today, and isn't really any different that we've personally been practicing ourselves now for weeks.  We're totally fortunate to be able to do so.  Restaurants closed on March 17 in our state, except for take-out and delivery, with businesses still a bit flexible.

Now, it's only essential businesses, which fortunately in our county, included nurseries, but I hope in our agricultural/farmer's market supporting state will be in the state regulations, too.

So even though I've been a devoted bread baker for decades, I'm having fun with my sourdough starter.

This was the second refresh for day 3, along with the "discarded" starter turned into some sort of buckwheat dough for pancakes or muffins tomorrow.

Sourdough starter, day 3 plus the "discards" ready for something else tomorrow

A comment on the new Milk Street FB group (brand new) about my starter yesterday -- I'm a fan, so it's fun, mentioned that her grandmother made homemade yeast and sold it during WW II.

Geez, I never heard of that, but if we can make sourdough starter simply from flour and water, well, why not?

Comments