A morning walk

At the NC Arboretum this morning, I enjoyed the peace and tranquility.  Getting there is easier now without as much traffic from my house close to downtown.

But this reality is touched by the more incessant reality of how our lives have changed here in WNC in the last couple of weeks, especially this last one.  All of our restaurants now in Asheville are open only for take-out and delivery (that's the case across North Carolina now), schools and universities closed, and business as usual -- well, that's non-existent.  So it's a huge hit on the local economy, as we're a tourist city.

It's true for many places across our country and well beyond our borders, too, of course.  We're in troubled times, but nature still is out there, thankfully, for those of us who have access to it, as we still currently do here;  although visitor centers for state and national parks have now closed, we can still hike and walk (practicing social distancing, of course).

Veggie beds late May, a few years ago

I transplanted more spinach plants (that were overcrowded) this afternoon, and will be harvesting the smaller ones, too, to thin them out.

I'm going to venture forth tomorrow to get mushroom compost and more veggie transplants at the nursery (where I spoke about vegetable gardening last Saturday.)  They'd provided a generous gift card, so I thought I'd use it.  I'll have more $$ to give elsewhere, I thought, and they have a lot of nice-looking transplants on hand.  Maybe I'll even plant the lower bed below the house -- the woodchucks may need some veggies!  Ha.  I'll have to protect them if I do that.

News that the US-Canada border was closing "temporarily" is unsettling.  Quebec is currently more shut down than our mountain city in NC, and was in advance of us.  We're still planning (and hoping) that we can return to Quebec for the summer as planned in early June.

But, we'll see.

I'll be planting more vegetables and hope for the best.



Comments