More signs of spring

I saw a spring azure butterfly again today. I had seen one yesterday, too, I thought. The bloodroot is in full flower (we have many small patches), as is the Lindera.)

On my walk this afternoon, after a rainy morning, I was delighted to see these fading tulips just around the corner.  They’re in a odd spot, perhaps just shoved in by a long-ago gardener next to the telephone pole.


Along another street in an adjacent neighborhood to ours, I was delighted by these grape hyacinths naturalized in their front lawn.  I wouldn’t have normally walked down that street but I’d looped by our local grocery stores within walking distance (including Trader Joe’s) to check out how crowded the parking lots were: there were actually spaces, reflecting the hunkering down that we’re doing here finally in my tourist mountain city, encouraged by city, county, and state mandates.




Signs of spring are a welcome respite. It was a beautiful warm afternoon, and I transplanted some spinach from the overcrowded bed to open spaces.

I’ve had some overwintered collards and kale already bolting, and will be juggling my raised bed space with warm-season transplants for the lovely gardener who will be in our house while we’re away this summer, if all goes as planned.  The border to Canada is open currently, to U.S. citizens, so things will be really, really bad, if we can’t drive to our cottage in Quebec in early June, and stay in place there.


Comments

Post a Comment