Simple pleasures

I'm altering my expectations about being here in Western North Carolina in a rapidly changing time.  Instead of enjoying Asheville's restaurants or working out at the Y,  I'll be out hiking.

My one Y mobile pantry volunteering, as excellent as it was, well, I'm reluctant to do that again, as it certainly doesn't pass social distancing standards.

Biltmore Estate sent out an email today about halting house tours until the end of March, rather extraordinary, but the good news is that passholders can briefly drive through the loop drive again.  I'd really like to visit the walled garden, as I'm sure the early plantings are well along.

At home in our neighborhood, this star magnolia in a front garden around the corner from our house is sweet;  it totally doesn't work for a living (my usual screen for including plants), but it's lovely nonetheless.  We enjoy them about one spring in five, I think, here in the Southeast.  They usually get frosted!


I had what I imagine will probably be my only spring presentation/talk today:  about year-round vegetable gardening.  So nice to have a welcome diversion for a receptive audience.  It was capped out at 40, with a waiting list;  I was rather glad to have a smaller group of 20-25.

Comments