An interesting week

As an American who's traveled quite a bit, I've been to many places in the world.  We've been fortunate indeed.  Some of the places we've visited have been places of the spirit;  some not so much.

I found myself thinking this weekend about where else in the world would I like to be, aside from the 6 (rolling) months in Canada that are possible for us, in normal times, in our cottage in Quebec.

Part of the answer is that I love the mountains of Western North Carolina, too, and seeing the views from the Blue Ridge Parkway on frequent visits are a wonderful reminder of that.  So it's been a gift to be here, surrounded by our naturalistic garden and my raised bed vegetable and herbs in these strange times.

Other magical places have been Southern Patagonia in Chile and the Central Andean Highlands in Ecuador. As have been solo and joint visits to Ireland.  Italy was wonderful two years ago as was Freiburg, Germany.

What's prompted my thinking this evening comes from the prospect of another four years of Trump.

I don't think it will happen, but worry for the next two months will be huge. Breathe in, breathe out.  

All will be well.  I hope.

Sunflowers at Biltmore Estate last week.


Comments

  1. Travel can be so magical. We had a wonderful two weeks as a family in Turkey in 2009 or 2010, and had hoped to return and see more - though not in the current Turkish political circumstances. We had many trips over the years to various parts of Canada as well, and look forward to going back. For my 60th, Jason and I went to Paris. I had been to Europe numerous times before our marriage (my parents lived in Switzerland for five years), and I thought I was filling a gap by going to Paris, but I didn’t expect to fall so much in love with France as we did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely have France (and Paris) on our list for revisiting. We traveled to soo many other far-flung places for many years, enjoying them, as they were more price-worthy than Europe. Recently, we've had trips to Germany and Ireland, and almost had a long HomeExchange in France arranged this fall, initiated by a fellow who wanted to be here during our U.S. election season. Totally curious, but obviously Covid got in the way of that exchange!

      Delete

Post a Comment