July-planted veggies

I encouraged myself today by reviewing planting charts for vegetables in Canada.

Well, even in July, I can sow lettuce, spinach, beets, arugula, kale, collards, chard, and beans, etc., I'm realizing.

There was even mention of broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts, but I'm not sure that's happening in our part of Quebec as a fall crop.  Maybe in Montreal, which has a longer season.

Maybe even a bit of quick container zucchini squash, too, I'm thinking.  I have some great seeds from Renee's Garden that I grew last year.   Hmm, it looks like it will be a good thing to still have some of those seeds, I hope.

We're planning to be in our cottage through late September, as we were last year. 

So we'll have greens as well as fruits to harvest, if we're up there by July 1. 

My main bed was left covered with compost (composted horse manure from our neighbors' horses, I think), so they'll be ready to turn and plant.  I confirmed that harvest dates for garlic were around mid-July, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to harvest fresh garlic then.  It's delicious fresh.

And I'm not sure when strawberries come in, nor when I started harvesting rhubarb, but I'll check my  blog posts.  Ah, it's around late July, I see, from a blog post that I found in my search. when strawberry season seemed underway.


The asparagus patch is too young to be harvested, so no worries there.

I'm a hopeful gardener this evening.


Comments

  1. Being hopeful is always a good thing. I am sure your garden will be growing wonderful treats in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment