A delayed arrival

It was expected, but I'm still sorry that the border between the U.S. and Canada will remain closed through June 21.  Possibly beyond that, too.

We're fine, of course, here in Western North Carolina, with our summer renters now starting on July .

I'll be able to cut back the perennials in the pocket meadow - they'll benefit from a June "haircut" to keep their size in check. I'll also be able to monitor the warm season tomatoes and peppers, as well squash and bean seedlings as they emerge.

But I'm wistful about not being able to put in transplants or seed in my Quebec vegetable beds, in early June as needed for the short gardening season there. It's not like I have a huge area to plant, but it was fun to have vegetables last summer. Maybe I'll be able to seed some things in late June, wild forage sea spinach, and harvest fruits.

That will be fine for this summer.

one harvest of MANY

I've had so MANY harvests of greens, lettuces, and spinach from my garden this spring;  well, I can hardly complain about missing early planting season in Quebec or foregoing vegetable gardening there at all.  We're inundated with greens at this point.

I'll surely be harvesting cherries, late rhubarb, and apples this summer, along with wild-foraged rose hips and sea spinach.  And perhaps we'll be up there by strawberry time, too.  The raspberries and blueberries are later, so I'm even more hopeful about them.

Regardless, there are still lots of frozen cherries and apples from last year in our freezer, waiting for us to return (and me to make them into various things!)

Comments

  1. Hopefully you will be able to get to your Northern home in time for some yummy plantings. 2020 is one for the record books, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment