A garden's promise

As I watered my raised beds this evening, I thought about the gardener.  I'm the hopeful one, planting tomatoes, peppers, basil and squash.

They're for our summer renters, I hope, as I water.

I just as much think that these plantings may be for us, as I harvest probably the next to last spinach plants, sown in March, for dinner this evening.

The spring-sown beet greens are holding well, so far -- I'm not expecting beets, just greens, which are delicious and healthy (as has been the spinach, collards, kale, chard, etc.).  Hmm, I'm getting tired of greens, but spinach is always welcome.  And beet greens are a close favorite, too.

I don't think we'll make it to Quebec in time for me to plant seasonal vegetables, as the season is so short there, but there will be fruits to harvest: cherries. apples, raspberries, and blueberries, for sure.  Not to mention the wild-foraged sea spinach that was so delicious late last summer.


Early June plantings last spring


And our neighbors can harvest the rhubarb, which is early, if they like, along with the strawberries, but the young plantings from last year, along with the asparagus, can also just continue to grow.

Hopefully, I'll be able to harvest the garlic that I planted in the fall, too. There will be time, I'm thinking. Quebec is on a different seasonal schedule than we are in the Southeastern U.S., with garlic harvest in mid-to-late July,  I think.

I'm thankful for the promise of the garden this evening.

Comments

  1. I hope you are able to make it to your gardens in Canada. I know how much your second home brings you joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, we hope so, too. And I think I'll still be able to plant quite a few vegetables along with harvesting fruits. A good thing.

      Delete

Post a Comment