Again, grateful for our garden

On another beautiful spring day, we were both, again, grateful for our garden.  We’re surrounded by our naturalistic garden now in fresh spring mode, with the hybrid rhododendrons almost in flower and the garden symphony unfolding.

Looking out the front door, the sedum bed is delightful, looking great after a mild winter, and welcome colonization by ferns and Heuchera.  The pocket meadow beyond is advancing nicely, although only an early Amsonia is so far in flower.  The Penstemon digitalis isn’t far behind.

There are lots of Penstemon seedlings this year, interestingly, along with the usual Rudbeckia and Echinacea.  I’ll probably move around a few of them, especially the larger Penstemons from last year’s recruitment.


The side garden, looking left out the door, has developed well.  My gardening companion’s mix of natives is charming, encompassing the side of the garden.


And, as I harvest probably the last big spinach harvest from my overwintered spinach, as it’s looking like it’s finally going to bolt,  I’m marveling at how long the harvesting of cool-season greens has continued.


My spring transplants still look fine and will probably hold through the cool week to come.  Then I’ll be swapping them out for tomatoes and peppers, and possibly planting beans and squash, depending on whether I think we’ll be here longer than we hope.

Perhaps I need to check in again with our summer renter.  The  5 tomato plants (of various sorts) and four pepper plants are probably enough!  And she doesn’t need to be worrying about tending bean or squash vines...

Comments

  1. We are grateful to have outside spaces, too, but our ‘yard’ does not compare to your beautiful gardens I’m afraid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment