Seeing an old friend: Vidalia onions

I don't really think that you can call a vegetable an old friend, but this is one I first saw almost 3 decades ago, in the early days of Vidalia onions.

We lived in Statesboro, Georgia then, in the coastal plain of the Southeastern U.S., about a hour from Savannah, but not that far either from Vidalia onion growing country. 

The growers there had recently (at that time) come up with the brilliant idea to market their sweet onions grown in their special mineral-rich soil as Vidalias (as a trademarked name), named for the county that encompasses the growing region.

To my surprise, I saw this bag of Vidalia onions at my local market in Le Bic, Quebec as a featured item.

Bland Farms was one of the early promoters of Vidalia onions, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that they're now trying to make inroads into the Canadian market, with French labelling as well as in English.

Vidalia onions are definitely good!

The French caption is: "you only cry if you miss them".
And having had plenty of watery eyes cutting up Quebec onions (as well as onions from Spain) sometimes labelled as sweet, but usually not, they may well have an excellent market here to develop.

And they were delicious, as always.

Comments