A zero-waste home

We're not even close to this, even as we compost and recycle extremely diligently.  Plastic is SO difficult not to use, whether it's plastic storage bags or avoiding non-recyclable plastic or buying produce wrapped in plastic or put on trays (before wrapping with non-recyclable plastic.)

I normally bake all our own bread, so have been thinking about the darn freezer storage bags that I've been using.  It's worrying to use so many freezer bags just for my homemade bread (a first-world worry, I know).

I used to have loaf-sized Rubbermaid containers that I used for bread, but apparently in downsizing, and trying to switch from plastic containers to glass, I gave them away to a local thrift shop.  Hmm. I wish I still had them.

The alternative I'm starting to try here is wrapping fresh loaves in a beeswax wrap, then putting them in a linen bread bag.  If I can find a nice bread box, I'll add that, too.

some bread from Kamoraska's great bakery, Boulangerie Niemand

This bit of bread is from an absolutely wonderful bakery in Kamoraska, Quebec, bought this afternoon coming back from visiting family outside of Quebec City -- a perfect bit to experiment with.

Another inspiration was this book, although I've been thinking along these lines for a long time.


checked out from our local Heritage-Bas-Laurent English language library

And our recent HomeExchange visitors from Manhattan, who have totally embraced trying to reduce their carbon footprint, were inspiration, too, to keep at reducing whatever extra that we produce. The most important element is reducing the stuff that needs to recycled or put in the garbage; that's what I'm focusing on -- it means buying things with a LOT less packaging, bringing your own containers for bulk foods, etc.

Hmm, I'll be continuing this path, but it isn't easy!




Comments