Organic "local" strawberries

Being at home in the world is about sense of place:  experiencing the landscape, doing what people do normally, and eating local as much as you can, I think. 

I like to try new things that are available, too (arctic char from Iceland? lovely small carrots, alas from Mexico, garlic (from Spain!, etc.)

"Local" strawberries from Quebec are now in the grocery stores nearby, mainly coming from Ile-d'Orleans, near Quebec City.  I bought some last week and wasn't impressed, but these organic ones, from a family farm on the island, Oh Bio - a multi-generational place -- had a wonderfully distinct strawberry fragrance, so I bought some.

They're delicious.

I was thinking they might be growing under hoops, so were sweeter, but didn't see any evidence of that in my perusal of their (in French) website, so I suppose that they're just waiting a bit longer to harvest (it IS getting warmer), or have a better variety of strawberry, too.

Delicious!
Add these to the remarkably good "sweet" cherries from Washington that I bought at a local Walmart, of all places, well, fruit is looking up.  We've even had some good nectarines (from California) appear in local groceries, as well.

I haven't yet tried the imported melons that are showing up -- they're of fancy varieties that I haven't  heard of before, but may be quite delicious.  They didn't have a fragrance, though.

I'm normally all about buying local, but here in a northern climate, local options are more limited.  The Quebec potatoes are exceptionally delicious, though -- especially the various small ones -- yellow and red!

Comments