A visit to Shelburne Farms

I’d known about Shelburne Farms as a non-profit educational center for many years;  their informal science education curriculum, published in book form, was a favorite resource for some activities that we did with field trip and summer camp programs at the university botanical garden where I spent much of my work life.

And the Vanderbilt connection, which I hadn’t really known about then, was intriguing as I learned about it being nearby to our route north to our cottage in Quebec.  Historic farm buildings, a historic house turned into a inn, set on Lake Champlain —hmm, definitely worth a visit.

It didn’t disappoint. It turns out the “working farm” was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead for Lila Vanderbult Webb and her husband, just as he laid out Biltmore Estate for George Vanderbilt.  And goodness, these are impressive farm buildings, some which continue to be used for farm purposes, other areas repurposed for education, farm visits, and events.

Here’s a sampling of photos from my visit.


A truly impressive farm barn;  it now houses farm exhibits with live animals, the education center, and the cheese-making operation.  The chicken coop was especially remarkable, along with the chicken parade.  I’ll attach a video clip on my FB feed!



And, the landscape is lovely, of course.









Comments

Post a Comment