A barn down the road

I had fun revisiting a barn image from 2019.  It was a old, patched barn.  My gardening companion has helped our neighbors load hay up in the chute where it's stored.  My original photo was prosaic.  My first watercolor image then, on inexpensive paper, was in a notebook brought from Germany the year before.  

Well, I liked that image and couldn't find the original photo (although I have since), so I did an acrylic painting from that watercolor version.  The first iteration was way too small and squat, but thanks to the ability of acrylic to paint over previous edges, I was able to expand my painting to something I'm quite glad to see emerge.  It's an extraction of what it really looks like; in reality, it's quite patched and has "and it's seen better days" feel.

Nevertheless, I was pleased with the outcome.  This photo, taken at night, doesn't really reflect the colors properly; the snow has a lot more blue notes than what shows up here.  And the sky is white, not yellowish-tan!

I'm grateful for my studio space this evening, which is writing and art space, looking out towards the forest through the windows.


Comments

  1. It is so nice that you are able to bring the memory to life with your painting. Only you know that it is different from what you painted. From my perspective, it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment