A new acrylic painting

At home in Asheville, I joined my acrylic painting class in Quebec, thanks to one of the Heritage Bas St. Laurent outreach programs to the minority English speakers there;  I hardly feel like I'm their target audience, but I do volunteer in the Rimouski Heritage library when I'm in Quebec, and of course, I know I count for purposes of the grant that supports the programs, as we are normally residents there for half the year, so that's all good.  And they're able to accommodate quite a few more folks via Zoom than in the in-person versions at the library.

It was a new painting today, encouraged by a participant who wanted to learn about painting snow.  Hmm.  That's different, for sure.

But I was game, trying to use a new sort of acrylic, sent to me from Quebec, along with a synthetic brush kit, and a couple of small canvases.  

It seems so different to me to blend these colors on canvas (for the first two classes, I was using my own acrylics on heavy watercolor paper with watercolor brushes, so it seemed familiar (as I was basically using acrylic as watercolor).  But, hey, this is about experimenting and encouraging myself to do art.

The snowy stream  scene was hard.  But I sat there for two hours and did it.  I'm trying to decide if I'm "finished with this," without adding the branches laden with snow and final touches.  I tend towards light colors, in general, but I've also realized that more definition and depth can make all the difference, too.

Here's my painting as of today, followed by the subject painting  I'll have to consider this a bit more! It's interesting that my iPhone image picks up more texture from the canvas, as well as making this image a bit more vivid than the original.  Perhaps that's telling. Or maybe not.




Comments

  1. It's really interesting to watch as you experiment and learn about watercolours, acrylic and painting itself -- whatever the medium. I really enjoy seeing your different versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. It's been a fun exploration so far.

      Delete

Post a Comment