The Declaration of Independence

I'm planning to sign in to Monticello's live stream tomorrow as they talk about Independence Day (11 am EST).

I remember vividly, many many years ago, when I was an intern at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, living in the Capitol Hill District, visiting the National Archive on the 4th of July.

An image from the web

It was moving then. 

I listened to NPR hosts reading it this morning. 

It seemed more timely than ever as we, as Americans, face a curiously leader-free America, with our values needing to be front and center again.

And when my gardening companion and I returned in our post-graduate school years, to the Smithsonian's Environmental Research Center near Annapolis,  for almost a decade, we enjoyed fireworks and music in front of the Washington monument for the years that we were there.  It was a July ritual to go the Mall.

Monticello's visitor center has a remarkable interpretive display about how the American Revolution inspired revolutions around liberty around the world.

I so hope for that again.

Comments