Being a citizen of the world

On our Independence Day, I think of the revolutionary change that our revolution inspired.

I think of the young woman in the Chile-Argentina boat crossing who said, after our inquiry about where are you from?  answered, "I'm a citizen of the world."



The daughter of a diplomat, she'd learned that approach, I guess, and I certainly love it myself.

We've been privileged to have traveled to many places over the last few decades, and I've always remembered being a "citizen of the world" and tried to embrace that myself.

A vivid memory from long ago was returning to our Clemson house and garden after a trip to the Yucatan, thinking, really?  We have this lovely LARGE house with expansive garden space surrounding it -- just for us and our dog?

Such a contrast to the small dwellings that we saw in our travels through the Yucatan.  An experience repeated in so many places around the world.

Visiting Ellis Island for the first time a year ago -- well, that brought the immigrant experiences of my ancestors to life.

As the bottle rockets explode in the background this evening,  I'm  hoping that we can celebrate Independence Day for the what it truly means and evokes for the future, too.


Comments

  1. Lisa, I too like the idea of being a citizen of the world. While my traveling days are most likely over, I appreciate the blogging community and its world wide presence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment