Winter solstice and thinking about snow

As days are getting shorter, I’m even more mindful of it.  I’m not good about waking up before light is evident, nor am I happy about early evening darkness.

I’m remembering, though, how in Quebec, arriving in early January last year, how bright the days seemed.  And since it never got above 32° F, we had nice snow for the duration of our almost 8 weeks there.

Part of how unexpectedly pleasant it was - was the snow, reflecting what were largely sunlit days, but also the 3-hour shift east (within the Eastern Time Zone), so daylight seemed somehow earlier in the morning and still OK in the afternoon. The darkness now seems longer here in Asheville.

So, I’ll be glad of lengthening days, just in another week.  And I’m looking forward to the bright sunshine of winter in our snowy sojourn in Quebec to come.

Poking around for photos from last winter, these came up for January 2018.

View of our neighbors' house and adjoining barn

our outbuildings buried in snow

View from the living room in late afternoon


Comments

Post a Comment