More about beeswax wraps

A good friend mentioned to me today that she’d bought beeswax bags at Trader Joe’s today, after her son had nudged her into rewashing single-use bags.  Washing plastic bags seems a bit more of a project than using beeswax wraps, so I was interested.

I’ve got various versions of beeswax wraps;  my favorite so far are these
Abeja large-scale wraps.  Cut in half, each will wrap a loaf of bread. 

I have their wraps, Etee wraps, and another company's wraps that I can't remember their name.  Still, the Abeja wraps are my favorite so far.

This post wrote about using beeswax wraps.

I bought the bags and a roll of wrap of Trader Joe’s this evening;  they smell quite strongly of pine resin (jojoba oil, resin, and beeswax are infused into cotton of various thicknesses to make these wraps, whatever the manufacturer).  We’ll see how they age - I rinsed them out with hot water and put them out on the porch to air out and had to rewash my hands several times to remove the resiny residue.

All of the wraps come either stiff or oddly sticky or smelly, all of which has indeed disappeared over time in the ones I've bought previously.  I'm plugging along with all of them. 

I'm really tired of using so much plastic;  I love my mesh cotton produce bags for shopping for produce and bulk items and my very sturdy shopping bags are great.  But still, so much of what I buy -- it's healthy stuff -- is packaged in non-recyclable plastic -- all sorts of fresh and dried foods.

It makes me think of Sweden, which claims they are almost 100% recycling (well, that's because most of their garbage is incinerated to produce energy, as far as I was able to tell, after a three-week stay in an apartment in Stockholm a couple of summers ago.)

description: made in Tunisia
Not particularly attractive and quite thick cotton

Comments