Honoring the past

My mother wasn't a particularly good cook.  The youngest of three daughters, I 'm thinking now that she imagined larger things, even as my Grandma, her mother, was a camp cook for Northern California firefighters, canned beans, and made preserves.

My childhood memories of visiting Northern California where my Grandma lived, when my Grandpa was still alive, were magical with enjoying the community store that they ran, and exploring the attic, full of all sorts of interesting artifacts.  And they lived in a small town close to the Oregon border, with access to wonderful hikes, blackberry-foraging, and rivers nearby.

What's prompted this reflection this evening is a long-ingrained practice of making broth from bones.  Always with chicken and turkey, I was taught.  And I always do that, now with an Instant Pot making it easy.

This evening, I baked two Cornish Game hens.  They were on holiday sale at a local market.  I'd never cooked one before.  Hmm.  

First, they're really small.  Really small.

Second, they were stuffed with a strange giblet and neck mixture (which didn't match their size).  

So I first made giblet broth, honoring my mom and grandma, trying to just think about throwing out the necks, gizzards, and odd pieces, after the broth was done.

But, after the hens were done, and I extracted the breast and thigh meat, I put all of the bones into the Instant Pot, telling my gardening companion (aka my husband) that I would be throwing out the bones.

I couldn't do it. 

I picked through the bones, extracting the small bits of meat, to put back into the broth. I was channeling my thrifty Depression-era Grandma and my Mom. I will not be buying Cornish Game hens again.

Uh, I come by this naturally from the Wagner (paternal) side of my family, too.



 

Comments

  1. Love this story. I make turkey or chicken soup from bones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy with chicken and turkey- those Cornish Game hens were really fussy! If they had been particularly tasty, maybe, but they tasted like regular chicken.....

      Delete
  2. They have never been a go to for me either. But the memories are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren. I always think of my Mom and Grandma when I make broth.

      Delete
    2. Hi Lisa,
      I make bone broth all the time, for me and for the pets! Did you put some vinegar in to help etract the minerals? It's so nourishing, full of collagen and minerals that heal the gut. Yay! I probably wouldn't bother with a cornish hen though!

      Delete
    3. This was just normal one-hour broth, although occasionally I've made bone broth. I wouldn't normally add vinegar, but it makes sense!

      Delete
  3. I made some chicken broth, too. A little different this time. I used some of the leftover brining liquid (dill pickle liquid and beer) along with scraps of veggies in the freezer. Bill hates finding little bones in the meat after making stock. This time, I put the bones and veggies in a strainer/collander in the pot before cooking. After cooking, the bones and veggies were tossed without a second look - very unusual for me. That broth flavored a compost pile volunteer butternut squash with sage soup. A treat for a dreary winter day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious, Mary! I'm with Bill, hating finding mystery bones in the poultry pickings, but I put up with that, anyway.

      Delete

Post a Comment