Still adjusting to city life

 I hadn’t really realized how thoroughly I’d settled into our rural life in Quebec over the last five months, near the mountains and sea in the nearby park and visible everywhere driving the 15-20 minutes into our nearby city, or even the 5-minute drive to the nearby village. There were wonderful viewscapes on the upper way and the lower way to both places. It was a peaceful, nature-filled time. 

So being back in our urban mountain city, flooded with tourists still, is a bit jostling. Walks through downtown have been eye-opening; the surge of tourists post-pandemic concerns has brought a mix that was a bit unexpected.  Lots of urban young people from much glossier places. This afternoon, two young women in front of me headed into Malaprops, a venerable local Indie bookstore with their roll-on luggage. One of them was wearing over the knee black suede boots with high heels and a short skirt. Well, she wasn’t a regional tourist, I thought. Who knows where they might have been from? NYC? Miami?

I’m finding it a bit unsettling, finding connection at the North Asheville Tailgate Market, full of Asheville folks this time of year. And the greenway along the French Broad River in the River Arts District is wonderful, too. 

I’m grateful for my studio view into the ravine forest, restored by Tim’s work over the years. Perfect, I think.



i

Comments