Dog-eared recipes

I've been reviewing photos, trying to get the best ones to include in my book project.  Other memories pop up, including an old recipe for date bars from my grandmother.

She loved to make these, although I find the recipe a bit time-consuming now, and I wouldn't make anything now with a cup of butter, alas.

But they are good date bars, and I enjoyed them, back when I was a graduate student visiting them in Northern California.  They were almost all eaten by the time I returned to the Bay Area, after a four hour drive.

Another favorite was this clip from a now defunct healthy-eating magazine, for cranberry granola brownies.  They were a delicious staple for years.

 

Alas, now I don't even use sugar to make sweets, relying on dried fruits and sucralose for sweetness.  Sucralose is a dubious sweetener, but it's still better than sugar, in my way of thinking.

 

Comments