A walk through downtown Asheville

A loop through downtown on a Sunday evening was lovely - again.  I was enjoying an occasional walk by myself; our joint walk after dinner last night was excellent, too.  Nothing not to like.

The S&W building, which has languished for decades, is now a happening place as of this weekend.  The food court concept, initiated by the Highland Brewing Company, who wanted to have a downtown taproom, partnered with the owners of Chai Pani, who visioned the concept; it appears to be a winner.  Local vendors, from well-known places, encouraged to develop a new vision for their food court presence have totally stepped forward - brilliant.


 

A stop at the French Broad Chocolate Lounge (to buy a favorite gingerbread cookie dipped in chocolate) found me chatting with the young couple behind me in line.  Where are you visiting from, I asked?

It turned out that they were currently living in Charlotte, but were law students at UT Austin.  That's where I grew up, I said.  After I said that I went to UT as an undergrad, and my husband and I were botanists and gardeners, I mentioned Pollination Celebration here in Asheville -- and much to my delight, they said they were members of Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and aspiring pollinator-friendly gardeners themselves.  We chatted happily about Asheville and Austin for a while.

And remarkably, the two teenagers in line in front of me asked if they could pay for my order, as a kindness, they said.   I think they were religious, based on their father's t-shirt (he and his wife had left the line).   Regardless, I honored their kindness, accepted it, and will pay it forward. The cashier was impressed, as were the couple behind me.  So nice.  I felt the importance of human connection and communication with each other in such a nice way.

Walking back home, the skies were expansive.  Views from the Montford Avenue bridge and lower down looking past the Visitor's Center parking lot were uplifting.  So glad to be in our mountain city this evening.


Walking down Haywood Street, this sign was in a empty shop window.  This is why I think Asheville is still a special place in the world.



Comments

  1. What a delightful description of community and beautiful human spirit in the small generous moments. Unexpected, appreciated and passed on. Brings me hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an uplifting walk -- on a lovely first day of summer.

      Delete
  2. I love the "How to Build A Community" poster. We had this in our coffee shop, the Community Cup, years ago. I also found it in some obscure place. Asheville is a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen this poster before -- an excellent one! And what a good name for your coffee shop.

      Delete

Post a Comment